Posted by Vered on December 08 2010
A frugal holiday season does not mean a boring holiday season! Here are ten fun, frugal things you can do with your kids this holiday season:
1. Bake cookies together. Is there anything more fun than baking and decorating holiday cookies?
2. Decorate the house. Getting that magical box from the attic or the garage, opening it and going through those treasured family decorations… it’s a magical experience.
3. Write thoughtful, hand-written holiday cards to family and friends.
4. Play outside in the cold, then come back inside for a hot cup of cocoa.
5. Go to the local library together for story time and to pick books.
6. Declare a movie night. Rent a DVD, pop some popcorn, dim the lights and watch a movie together.
7. Roast chestnuts. It takes time and patience – cutting them, roasting, peeling – but it’s a fun winter activity and the rich creaminess of the nuts is well worth it.
8. Pick a worthy charity for your annual giving and send them a check or donate online. Your kids will love getting involved in picking a charity and may even be inspired to make their own donation from their own allowance, if they get one.
9. Curl together in front of the fireplace and read books or play board games. It’s almost a lost art, isn’t it? We’re so used to entertaining ourselves with screens (TV, computers, smart phones, video games). But taking an hour or so to relax, slow down the crazy pace a little and avoid any type of screen can feel great – for kids AND for grownups.
10. Have an indoor picnic. It can be such a fun lunch – but it only works if you take it seriously. Pack everything as if you were heading outside for a real picnic, complete with sandwiches and something to drink, then spread a blanket on the floor and have your picnic inside!